Friday, September 17, 2004

The Clown-ops Continue

Nothing really new to write about, I suppose. I've been keeping myself busy creating a training regime for new people and for people that have been in country for a while and not bothered to learn what they need to know. I usually work on the training stuff at night after work, when I'm bored in my room and have little else to do. It also gives me the luxury of only half concentrating on what I'm doing, as I'm often distracted by friends coming online and whatnot. So I'm usually doing three things at once - watching the National Geographic Channel, talking to 3 or 4 people at the same time, and working on something in a different window. I don't really consider this "working" though. Allow me to speak on that briefly.

I guess I had a strange image of what "work" was, because I always hear people talking about "working their ass off" or "working 10 hours" in a day. After being in the military, I kind of had a skewed image of what this whole "work" thing was, because we would go to "work" and do nothing. Then we'd go on missions, and I suppose we would "work" for sometimes 20 hours a day, but I didn't really consider it "work" then, either. It was just what we did, because it was what needed to be done to get the mission completed. Or that was what our job on the team entailed, and what we had to do.

So now I'm here in this quasi-civilian status, and I often hear people talking about the "work" they do, or "working their asses off," when in reality I know for a fact that they're writing emails or surfing the net. So I'm a little undecided on what the definition of "work" is. What I've come up with is that "work" is time spent at the "work place," regardless of what you might be doing while located in the "work place." People are very particular about how their time is spent, and even if they're doing personal business while "at work," they're not doing it on their own terms, so to them it's still "work." This leads me to believe that millions of people located in various offices around the world and in the USA who are "working their asses off" are just talking shit and being huge babies. If they weren't "at work" they'd essentially be doing the same thing at home, but they're just mad because they're not doing it in their underwear while consuming cheerios in an inappropriately huge bowl, along with an episode of Spongebob playing in the background. My point is, I think that people confuse "work" and "productivity." Instead of saying "I worked my ass off today" when they actually accomplished a solid 8 hours of work, people should say "I produced my ass off today," to indicate that they were actually productive at work. "I worked my ass off today" should be reserved for people who go to work and don't really do a whole helluva lot, but want everyone to sympathize with them because, again, they weren't at home looking at snuff videos from Iraq and eating cheerios. So I try to avoid saying I "worked my ass off," especially in an office environment. Honestly, do these people carry sandbags around and climb around on shit in the office? Have they ever been in an office for three days without showering, all the while crawling around in filth and falling into dirty rivers when it's around or below 50 degrees? I understand mental fatigue from looking at a computer screen and dealing with mouth breathers all day, but how physically wrecked could you possibly be? When someone says "I'VE BEEN WORKING MY ASS OFF HERE" I get this image of their ass somehow becoming physically detached from the rigors of the "work" they've been doing, and nothing could be farther from the truth. Even when I carried a 100+lb pack for 9 hours in the middle of the night, I never stopped and said, "Wow, I've been working my ass off," even though it did indeed feel like my ass was physically detached and in a pool of magma, nerves and all still connected. And that was before we even started "working" on the mission.

I don't really know what the point of this little rant is. Maybe because I've observed grown men acting like little kids with a serious case of hyperbole-itis. So in an attempt to continue my little game of "King of the Hill" on a mound of moral highground built by obese, 12 year old knuckle draggers trapped in the bodies of 45 year olds, I'll refuse to say that I "work my ass off."

Unless, of course, my ass happens to somehow become physically disconnected while being productive in my place of work.

Sorry about that. I didn't plan on writing that. It just happened randomly, like all glorious things. Kind've like the big bang.

Ok, like I said before, nothing new is really happening around here. Here's a funny article about someone who used to work here on the same program, and who I thought was a complete hilljack and bullshitter. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,132403,00.html Give that article a peep to see the caliber of some of the people I work with.

Enjoy your day, and have a helping of McDonalds fries for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home