Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Rumors of my demise .........

Well, Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggeratted. Mark Twain said something like that. I think.

Well, things have been going pretty smoothly lately. We've been teaching a lot of classes, trying to get the good word out. The good word of the comms gods. I don't really know why I haven't written anything - I guess when I've been somewhere for a while, things get pretty mundane.. That's not too difficult around here - there's sort of groove you settle into after a while around here.

I will say that, as always, I do enjoy teaching quite a bit. I get a good amount of job satisfaction from teaching - I have the students fill out comments sheets at the end of class, and the feedback is always good. The guys we're sub'd under are all excited, cuz they can send the comment sheets to DC and look good. This whole "making other people look good" thing is getting a bit old, but what do I care? I think I'm doing a good job, which is a lot more than a lot of people can say. I feel like I at least have a purpose of being out here - it sucks going day to day not really knowing why the hell you're here. Granted, the salary here makes it more bearable, but salary alone isn't always sufficient. Job satisfaction, baby.

Well, they moved us. We knew it was gonna happen, but not exactly when. We moved from a compound on the outskirts of Kabul into the compound where we work. I guess it has its pros and cons. We don't have to suit up and drive into work anymore.. We can just roll outta bed and go to eat or whatever. Ok, so the cons?? Well, we live in the same place as those who think they're still in the military. What's that mean? Well, all the up-n-ups live here too, so they like to make rules about every little thing. There are a lot of signs around telling us what we're not allowed to do - that sort of thing.

Another plus side is that we live in what I call "Little South Africa." Most of the South African guys live right by us, so there's never a dull moment.

Well, if anything exciting happens, I suppose whoever is reading this will be the first to know. Until then, peace--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home