Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Happy Birthday Dear Warlord, Happy Birthday to me!!!

Yeah, if you didn't know already, today is my birfday. The big 2-8. This is the 3rd birthday in a row I've spent out of the US of A - last year being in Tokyo, the year before that was in Seoul. I had a little birthday party last night with 3 of my South African friends/co-workers. We made the rare trip out to a Chinese restaurant just down the street. As soon as I walked in, I knew I was in familiar surroundings. Seedy Chinese-esque bars with low, red sofas and barebones tables and chairs are like a second home. Everytime I go to a place like that with just a couple of my friends, we always end up having an awesome time and being welcomed back as "regulars" if we ever make it back. (You just have to be careful who you bring, or things could go bad of course. :) ) In any case, I didn't think that I'd be spending my 28th birthday celebration in a Chinese restaurant in Kabul with three white South Africans. That's gonna be a tough one to top, but I'll try my best.

As for what I did today, well, pretty much same-ole-same-ole. I had an icecream bar for dinner, which was yummy. And I took a day off from the gym as a little birthday present. The highlight of tonight was probably taking Warlord Shots. A Warlord Shot has nothing to do with alcohol (though it should, so please think of a good shot). A Warlord shot is kinda like an Afghanistan Glamour Shot. Remember Glamour Shots? It was that place in the mall that would airbrush up your picture to look all glamorous. I remember joking with my sister about people getting their senior yearbook pictures taken there, and people actually did. They were usually the ugly girls who didn't want to be remembered as sewer beasts. (Sorry if any of you guys got them done there, but come on..) Anyway, my roommate Sam was wearing a Pakol, which is a common hat here in Afghanistan, and took a picture of himself that kind've looked Warlordish. So we took our Warlord shots and I think they turned out pretty well. I'm thinking about puting it up as the main picture on this page 'cuz I think it's funny, and by the time you read this it might just be up there. Anyway, I took it a step further and made a little wanted poster featuring Sam and Paul's Warlord shots. I recommend you right click it, save it, print it out, and put it on your wall. Here it is:


That kicks ass, doesn't it? I mean, I almost look like I could possibly run shit. Sam looks like my right hand man, you know, the guy you keep around 'cuz you go way back. He sits around and eats your food and criticizes how you do stuff, but never really contributes to the warlordery. And warlording isn't easy, believe me. Taxing roads you don't own, coercing people to vote for you, dodging human rights commissions. It's a rough life.

Other than my birthday and warlord shots, nothing really to report on. Things around here are quiet, which is good and a little un-nerving at the same time. It's almost like they're saving up for something really big. The last time they did something big was bad, and I hope nothing like that ever happens again. More later--

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey happy birthday, dude. I'm goin' to San Diego tomorrow for the E&Y thing, UCSD and Billy's wedding, and I'll force everybody I see to read your blog. jim

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul, I am proud of your service and attitude. You may not always be happy or positive, but you are wells-poken, well-informed, and purposeful. Here's to you and a Happy New Year for 2005. I hope to see some new Blogs from you soon. When you get back to the US of A, remind me NOT to let you drive my big truck when we meet again. Yer Buddee from ol' RHS...GABRIEL

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home