Thursday, January 20, 2005

Karma's a byotch

I figure what comes around goes around... That might be a load of bullshit, and maybe life shits on everyone at one time or another, and people on the outside say "what comes around goes around" because it's a much more spiritual way of saying "you deserved it, fucker." And that's what it comes down too, right? I mean, horrible things happen to people who don't deserve it in the least, and people just say "wow, that sucks, he's such a nice guy."

So why am I talking about this... G. Dubya Bush had his inauguration, and a lot of people are really pissed off about it. So in keeping with freedom of expression, a group of people decided to have an anti-war protest during the inauguration. Having an anti-war demonstration is fine - that's their right, and I'm gonna say that anyone shouldn't do it. But come on. I'd like to start a government organization, recruit all my friends, and follow all the demonstrators around and keep tabs on them. Learn about their lives. I'd find out when they had a special day - like when their kids have a graduation, when they're having a wedding, something really special. I'd make a database of their lives and make sure to repay karma on them. During their special day - their wedding or graduation or whatever, I'd hire 10 of my friends, buy them a bunch of booze (all charged to the government of course :) ), and wreck their shit. I wonder if they would make the connection? I seriously doubt it. I think they'd probably say something like, "I cant believe someone would do that on such a special occasion!" Or an even more moderate course of action would just be to dig up a bunch of dirt on the person and plant people to walk around the party talking shit about whoever's special day it is. "Yeah, old Steve.. It's good he finally settled down. Yeah, he used to be a real wild one.. You remember how he went on that "business trip" to Thailand? Yeah. Four Thai hookers at the same time.. Don't tell anyone I told you that though."

As an American you have the right to do a lot of things without some special branch of the police to beat you up over infractions, but politeness and decent upbringing often restrain us from doing things that we are "free" to do. I'm free to wear a shirt that says "You're gay" or belch thunderously in movie theatres. People who do and say inappropriate things are often criticized for their actions, so why are people who do socially uncouth things in the policial arena applauded for their courage? Wasn't Sebastian Bach from the band Skid Row (if you didn't know what band he was the front man for, you need to do some homework) just exercising his freedom of expression when he was photographed wearing a shirt that said "Aids Kills Fags Dead"?? Duh... I'm not really looking for an answer. Any answer would probably be lame anyway.

So what's going on around here.. It's snowing a lot here, which I don't mind because it's generally a bit warmer here when it's snowing. A lot of people don't realize that is snows in Afghanistan, so I present the following picture:


It's been getting a might chilly 'round these parts. Yesterday I went to Mazar-i-sharif and there was a Bushkazi game going on next to the compound. That's the national sport of Afghanistan. It's where a bunch of horseman ride around and try and get a dead sheep into the opposing team's goal. My friends think that Afghans got the idea from Rambo III. I'll let you decide whether that's fact or fiction, though. Here's an aerial shot of the game. They started playing after we took off in our groovy MI8 helicopter. God bless the ruskies!
Here's a picture from the air:



I sent all the paperwork off for my job in Japanistan, and I should be jumping ship here within the next couple weeks. If my tickets aren't taken care of a few days out, I'm gonna throw a temper tantrum. I consider myself a fairly laid back guy, but I think I've had more temper tantrums here since the month of May then I did in 5 years of the Marines. Yeah. Clownops. Bigtime. Either way, I posted some more pictures in my photo gallery at the end of the Afghanistan folder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home